Skills Live competitions are for students aged 16-25, and working at up to Level 1, to showcase their talents.
Derwen has supported competitions for students with learning difficulties and disabilities for almost ten years. The college has worked with other colleges and organisations to provide competitions at local, regional and national levels. These events are great opportunities for students to showcase their incredible talents. We work with independent judges from relevant sectors to ensure top quality competition provision.
Derwen College’s 2021 skills competitions will be held over the week of 1st-5th March.
The events will take place virtually, and judging will be done online.
Entries will be open to students who meet all the criteria:
- Currently in education – in mainstream or specialist colleges or schools.
- Aged 16-25 years at the time of the competition.
- Working at up to Level 1.
Competitions will be in the following areas:
- Horticulture – Students working at up to Entry Level 2 are invited to design and prepare a Winter Container.
- Hospitality – Individual competition to Display an Afternoon Tea. This competition is for hospitality students working at up to Entry Level 2.
- Independence – Students working at up to Entry Level 1 will be asked to demonstrate their Independence skills by buying food to a budget.
- Performing Arts – Teams of up to ten students will demonstrate their Choreography and Dance skills.
- Retail – Sales pitch. Individual competition for students working at up to Entry Level 3 to demonstrate their Communication skills.
- Work Skills – Demonstrating Team Work skills. Groups of up to four competitors (working at up to Entry Level 1) to work together to build a lego bridge.
- Functional Skills – Demonstrating ICT, English and Maths skills at up to Entry Level 3.
- Briefs for each competition will be available in early January 2021.
Register your interest by emailling firstname.lastname@example.org by 10th February 2021.