A wide range of internal and external sport and exercise opportunities are available at Derwen College.
Our indoor heated swimming pool, sports hall, dance studio, fully equipped gym and football field provide many sport opportunities on-site. Students have the opportunity to take part in basketball, boccia, dance, football, rounders, netball, walking, new age kurling and swimming.
In addition, with strong links to community clubs and organisations, external sport and exercise opportunities are also available.
Develop your water skills and work towards Amateur Swimming Association (ASA) recognised distance awards. Each summer term students take part in the annual Swimming Gala which is great fun.
Derwen has a male and female football team. Teams plays in the 3 Counties Football League, North Wales Pan Disability league and partners with Chester FC Community Trust. Furthermore, Derwen College also works with Shrewsbury Town FC, current Welsh Premier League champions The New Saints, and Chester Football Club. The college’s female football team (Derwen Devas) benefit from a weekly training session from Chester Football Club coaches. The Derwen Devas have played at the King Power Stadium, home of Leicester City FC. Some of our students also play football for Shrewsbury Town Down Syndrome team.
Through North Shropshire Special Olympics weekly groups attend boccia, swimming, badminton, table tennis and athletics sessions. Additionally students also get the opportunity to compete in indoor-skiing.
Varied sports and activity opportunities
Derwen College is proud to have strong links with Shropshire Cricket Board, Shropshire Paddle Sports, Phenzync and The Tennis Foundation/LTA. These activities, along with the Duke of Edinburgh’s Awards, provide further opportunities for the students.
Various indoor activities take place in the Student Union including table football, skittles and the Nintendo wii.
All students are encouraged to choose a timetabled sport. However there are also lots of extra sport clubs and activities available during the evenings and weekends.
News from Team Sport – as at July 2019
- 7 students attended a Crown Green Bowling Day in Shrewsbury with thanks to Cae Glas Lodge (September 18).
- 3 students competed in the Tennis LD National Finals in Nottingham (November 18).
- 6 students attended a Tennis coaching course delivered by the LTA (January 19).
- 96 students took part in pancake races and challenges on Shrove Tuesday (February 18).
- 7 students took part in a fishing event at Ellerdine Lakes with thanks to Shropshire Masonic Fishing Charity (March 19).
- 1 student played in the North of England Golf Open at Frodsham Golf Course (March 19).
- The Table Cricket team finished runners up in the area finals and qualified for the regional finals at Edgbaston Cricket Centre (April 19).
- 9 students competed at the Natspec Games in football, boccia, gym fitness and tennis (May 19).
- 2 students were selected to represent Shropshire Disability Cricket Team (Summer 19).
Throughout the year
- 18 students represented Derwen College football team through the season. The team played in the 3 Counties League, at the North Wales Disability festivals, and against other colleges and organisations.
- 8 students have taken part in inta-college in Boccia fixtures.
- 3 students having been taking part in the Oswestry Park Run.
- 3 students have attended community canoe sessions at Shropshire Paddlesports and achieved the Canoe Start Award.