The formation of the National Health Service forces change.
With the formation of the NHS, the Orthopaedic Hospital and Derwen Training College go their separate ways.
On 5 July 1948 management of the Orthopaedic Hospital was taken over by the Birmingham Regional Hospital Board. This was as part of the new National Health Service and the hospital was renamed the Robert Jones & Agnes Hunt Orthopaedic Hospital.
Following the formation of the NHS, the College became an independent charity. The two organisations however continued to work closely together over the following years with the College providing beds and services for the hospital; and the hospital supporting the College’s fundraising.