At Derwen we offer Living & Work Programmes for people who have a wide range of learning difficulties and disabilities.
You will have completed your education and require further support to develop the skills to live and work within the community.
Preparation for Living and Work Programme (P-LWP)
A stepping stone provision, providing training in the core skills required to move onto supported living and work in the community.
– Residential or day placements
– Available at dc main campus and our satellite provisions (Ashdale House, Walford and Craven Arms)
– 2 year programme over 37 weeks a year
– Bespoke programme balance of independence and work as required
– Working towards agreed outcomes relevent to individual needs, in partnership with social care
– Supported work placements to build vocational skills, these may include weekend working where appropriate
– Choice of one of three work areas: Land-based, Retail & Business or Hospitality & Catering. Aspects of creative studies will be available as enrichment / club activities and work experience
– On campus placements include dc Shopping & Leisure, the commercial enterprises at Derwen
– External work placements in the local community, as appropriate
– Dedicated mentor to oversee the trainee’s programme and transition
– Access to our Transition Co-ordinator
– Programme reviews as required
– Care, therapy and clinical support as identified during assessment
– Appropriate level of care support to promote independence on residential programmes
– Access to a programme of evening and weekend sport, keep fit and leisure activites
A formal expression of interest must be made by internal applicants at or directly after their 3rd year transition review. External applicants will be required to follow our pre-entry assessment process, and will be expected to have already acquired appropriate work-ready skills or have gained appropriate qualifications in their chosen area.
Places are available subject to:
– Availability of individually appropriate accommodation, as identified by Derwen College.
– Availability of individually appropriate work placements.
– Receipt of written confirmation of funding by deadline date.
For initial enquiries contact:
The Admissions Team
01691 661234 (Extension 369)