Students have the opportunity to access a wide range of support, including regular, timetabled individual personal tutorials and a named personal counsellor.
Speech and language therapists and physiotherapists work together very effectively to support access to the curriculum.
An innovative approach to behaviour management completes this comprehensive support network. A wide range of support services enable curriculum access:
- Medical support - the Medical Centre is staffed by trained nurses for medication, dressings and treatments and the College doctor holds a daily surgery. Specialist equipment is in the Medical Centre and main residences and the chiropodist attends regularly.
- Physiotherapy - students requiring physiotherapy are fully assessed in the first term. Referrals are also received at any time from GP, consultant or other appropriate medical professionals. Therapy is provided individually and in group sessions to support students to access the curriculum and promote independence.
- Speech and Language Therapy - students are assessed for communication and eating and drinking needs in their first term. Indirect and direct therapy is available for those students with specific speech and language difficulties, including the use of alternative means of communication. The College is a Makaton Centre of Excellence.
- Pastoral Support and Counselling – the College offers a range of pastoral support services to help students, appropriate to individual needs. These include one-to-one support from a member of the support team, a confidential personal counselling service and an accredited peer mentoring scheme.
- Behaviour management and psychological support – the psychological support team works with students who need to develop individual programmes to help them understand and tackle their emotional difficulties.
- Personal Tutorials - all students receive information, advice and guidance through the personal tutorial system. The personal tutors are responsible for setting up and monitoring the individual learning programmes.